Saturday, March 1, 2008

Springtime in Moldova

Hello out there!!!!!! I am one happy woman in Moldova. The cold weather is gently leaving, the sun has begun to shine, and I am not wearing all of the clothes I own at once! It truly is the little things that mean so much.



Students at the Russian school #3 in Cahul.


I also feel like I am getting the hang of my job, so that is making me happy. I have accepted that I will never be able to predict the way things work on the administrative level and I am just concentrating on teaching the intelligent and interesting students at the university in Cahul. I have also had the opportunity to go out to some of the "high schools" in town and talk to the younger kids and that has been a lot of fun as well. My students at the university have been out doing their student teaching, so many of them have been inviting me to come and speak to their classes. The little ones are so cute!!!!!! I am really enjoying the work I am doing here and think that the hardest part of adjusting to a new language, culture, etc. is behind me.

Below are some pictures of Milesti Mici, a huge vineyard right outside of Chisinau. It is unbelievable! You drive through these underground streets and on both sides of the street are alcoves filled with wine from different bottlings in different years. It is unlike anything I have ever seen. The streets stretch for miles and miles (OK, kilometers and kilometers!). I kept hoping the power would go out and I could get locked in all night! We actually went to celebrate Marlena's birthday, so it was a good time for all.



One of the underground roads of wine at the Milesti Mici vineyard. Now that is a lot of wine....







My favorite part of the tour... The tasting!!!!!

These are a series of pictures from our Valentine's day celebration in Cahul. The usual Cahulians (Liza and Michelle!) were there, but we had the pleasure of hosting Lynn, Crystal, Marlena and Kieran for the weekend as well. I made an Italian feast for everyone. We started out with Italian spring rolls, then moved on to truffle risotto, truffle stuffed chicken breasts in a champagne cream sauce, green beans with roasted garlic, and, finally, cheesecake with a chocolate sauce. We had an amazing amount of wine, laughed, sang and had a fantastic time. After we were a few bottles into the wine we drunk dialed Dean (a Lusk family tradition!) and he got to speak with all of the lovely ladies at the party. Dean, now you can match names with faces.



This is Michelle attempting to say "NO!" to one more glass of wine. Needless to say, she was not successful in this endeavor!






This is Lynn having a bit of cheesecake rapture!!!



I have no idea what the commotion was! I think maybe there was some fighting over the dishes.



From left to right, Marlena (seated), Crystal, Kieren, Lynn, Liza and Michelle (looking like a gangster in the background!)



It wouldn't be a party without a crazy picture of Liza. She hosted this crazy bunch of women and we spent all day long in her kitchen cooking and drinking wine. We love you Liza!



This was taken right before the party broke up. Liza appears to be on her knees praying in the background. She is either praying that she won't be hung over tomorrow or for us to leave, I am not sure which one!


I wish everyone a beautiful Spring and a happy Easter. We celebrate a very interesting Easter here on the 27th of April, then the first week of May is a special Easter of the Dead where everyone goes to the cemeteries and eats and drinks graveside. Should be interesting....

11 comments:

Suni said...

Lovely Lovely update!!!

Miss you....Love Suni

Anonymous said...

Whoever owns the winery must not know you very well...they actually let you in! How is it that Easter is April 27? I am assuming an Eastern Orthodox calender, yes? Easter for the observant Westerner is March 23 this year. It is calculated thus: the first Sunday after the first full moon after the vernal Equinox. How do the Moldovans calculate the date of Easter? I'm really curious. Spring is late this year in Arkansas, although we're having a marvelous warm sunny day today. The daffodils are finally making an appearance, and we don't need a fire in the woodstove. Forgot to tell you: I've found a world clock online, so now I just go there to know what time it is where you are! Makes you not seem quite so far away, somehow. Loved the update, keep 'em coming!

Unknown said...

Great post ma!

I think you are doing some pretty incredible things over there (when you aren't throwing wild parties, that is!) When I come this summer, we'll have to go exploring the wine caves, it looks like so much fun! I love you so much!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Anonymous said...

seems you're having a great time down there!
love, andi
ps: I need the name of the restaurant Miriam, you and I went to in New Orleans, you know, when we were working as "secret agents" ...

Anonymous said...

oops...i'll try again. i'm so happy for your great adventure! if i could afford it, i'd be over in a new york minute to visit you. abby (my baby girl) is considering being an exchange student to france next fall...now SHE might show up on your doorstep. don't you get to come home on a break soon? hope i'll get to see you...in the meantime, thanks for the pics and blog for us to live vicariously thru. connie f

Anonymous said...

We just love reading your blog! Wish we could be there to party with you!

Take care,
Mil & Judy

Anonymous said...

Jennifer:
Your posts read like "Like Water for Chocolate". My mouth waters. I want the recipes. More, I want to be there eating your recipes.

I'm glad you're teaching is going well. The Dept. of Ed in AR just put all three school districts in Pulaski County on a distress/needs improvement list because we can't seem to close the acheivement gap between low-income, AF-American, or disability kids and "white" middle class kids. You may want to stay where you are. Or maybe come home in two years and write a book on education in another part of the world. Your students seem happy, optimistic, and engaged.

I wish my baby were going to Europe for the summer too, but she does get to go to S. Korea for 1 week in August with LR Sister Cities youth group. She enjoys reading your posts. You are one "cool" mom on her list! You may be inspiring a future Peace Corps volunteer.

Jennifer said...

You guys all rock! You are the greatest friends in the universe. I am really having a good time right now. I am in the groove of teaching, I am busy as hell doing a million different things with Peace Corps (organizing the mentoring program for the next group of teachers coming this summer, working on the new official plan for our group, etc.). I really like being busy. It keeps me from missing you all so much! Martha, thanks for the information about Easter. This heathen always wondered how that got figured out. We celebrate the Orthodox Easter here by a completely different calendar. We will have Easter on the 27th and I have big plans with some friends to be on a boat called a gullet in Turkey and also in an amazing Villa for a couple of days. I am holding that out as my prize for a couple of really crazy months of work. I am teaching 32 university hours per week and it is really keeping me hoppin! Andi, the name of the restaurant is Jacques Imo's. Just watch out for the guys at the bar. They are dangerous!!!!!! Connie, Maria...tell your girls to come on over and see me if they get anywhere close, but keep in mind it is easy to be the cool mom when you are someone else's mom! Love you guys!
Jennifer

ChristyJ said...

Hi, Jennifer. I have been wondering about you and hoping that you were having a blast! It sounds like you are, and I am so glad to read your posts. I'm thinking a trip to Moldova might need to be in the works! - CJ

DENO said...

So, we send Jennifer to a place that has an undergroud CITY of wine!!!!!
Boy, that peace corp placement office knows what the hell they're doing don't they- not bad for a government operation.

I do have to say to everyone who has never been awakend on a lazy Saturday morning by a dozen or so very drunk peace corp volunteers that I highly recommend it as a great ego booster.
Especially since they were all women and I got "passed around the room" as it were. OK, maybe my wife HAS been gone for a while.

Here's what gets me about posts like this.....it's the description of what you are cooking over there.
I mean, you have NOTHING to work with and yet you are putting together truffle stuffed chicken breasts and champaign cream sauce -
and oh my god it sounds incredible.
And the thing is, I know it is....

We all know it is - and we can't wait for you to get back here and have one of those big ol kitchen and back porch parties with lots of wine and lots of Jennifer FOOD !!!!


Later,
love everyone

Anonymous said...

AMEN, Deno! High time for one of those parties!