Sunday, July 29, 2007

Teaching (and other!) Realities in Moldova

I feel like I am really beginning to get the hang of the way things work (or in some cases, from my American perspective) don't work. I am having the most amazing time at the university teaching this practice school class. You wouldn't believe the way the students are so anxious to learn! It has been a 100 plus degrees for almost all of practice school. The students are adults with jobs and lives and they are not getting any credit for the school, yet they continue to come. They are interested, interesting, and unbelievably intelligent. They bring gifts, they bring me water (so that I don't pass out in class, and they even clap at the end of class sometimes! This is a very different experience from any I have ever had before. I am liking it!
I am also learning to do the national dance of Moldova (the hora!) for our swearing-in ceremony. I will get to wear the costume and everything!!!!!! Be sure that I will post pictures of the entire event on an upcoming blog. It should be a hoot! It is a hell of a lot of work as we practice three days a week for 3 hours a night. Most days are 12 hour work days while we are in practice school. It sounds like a lot, but that is really all that I am doing. I don't have to worry about bills, food, cleaning my house, and all of those other things that occupy life at home. I definitely sleep well at night, so I must be doing something right.
I am learning some fascinating things about the culture and the problems here. Yesterday we had a fascinating discussion about Chernobyl and the connection with Moldova. Chernobyl was located in Ukraine (a country that borders Moldova!). Many people from here were sent to help in the clean up efforts without being told anything about the dangers of radiation! That combined with proximity has meant a startling incidence of cancer in very young people and children. We are so lucky in the US! I feel like I take so much about our water, soil, etc. for granted. Here it is very important to know where food comes from, how it has been stored, etc. These are not things I give much thought to at all in the US.
Well, that's about it for now. I am going to try and post one more time before I head down to Cahul, but it may be a while after that before I get up and running in my new place. I wish all of you great starts to the new school year, more good than bad in life, and the company of people you love!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JeN:
I have thought of you much, especially when I am turning on a faucet or flushing a toilet. I too am technology impaired and can't get the hang of posting comments. Have lost several along the way.
My girls were elated that you are in Moldova becasue one of the new bands that they have found by perusing iTunes (or whatever) is from Moldova. They're calle OZone.
I am gald that your students are helping to put the LIFE back into teaching!!!! You, my dear friend, are giving us a window into the world. Tahnk You.

vance said...

Hey Jenn,
It's so good to hear how you're getting along.
Sorry about the heat. Actually being sick in another country sucks.
Sounds like your adjusting pretty well. I hope they have bottled water there like they do in India now. As for food, "Wash it, peel it, and boil it" were our rules all those years ago.
Hang in there and keep up the good work.
vance